Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Licking a razorblade does not constitute an emergency

We were making Valentines card tonight when Andrew disappeared to brush his teeth (he flosses now, too, thanks to a preschool lesson). I helped him get the bubblegum toothpaste on the brush and returned to Will. 20 minutes after Andrew returned he decided to show me his tongue. Covered in blood.
"What happened?"

"I licked a razor."

"Why, Andrew? When? WHere was the razor?"

"I don't know, honey. It had bubblegum on it." (toothpaste)

So, if your child licks a razor blade, do the following:

1) Ice wrapped in a napkin or cloth
2) Pressure
3) TV to keep him applying that ice forcefully
4) Expect it to bleed a lot but it won't hurt
5) Don't worry, in 30 minutes he will be playing in boxes with his brother
and providing neigh neigh rides as well. Then he will take a bath with goggles on.

13 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Oooh, that makes me cringe! It's amazing how resilient kids are.

Ashley said...

Yeah, totally cringing. But I love that he calls you honey!

Tat said...

Good to know. Neither (as James has taught me) does grabbing a razor by the business end with one's tiny fingers. The cuts heal.

Allie said...

Wow, you should write for a major publication. I was totally drawn in by the header for this post. Isn't motherhood filled with so many unexpected little moments? I love that you documented this and have the pictures. I'm glad Andrew is ok! Mouth injuries always bleed like crazy! It cracks me up that he called you honey. I love reading your blog!

Michelle said...

holy crap....that is nuts! what a tough kid! seriously! great post! let's play soon!

Carolina said...

Unbelievable! Where do kids get these ideas?

Andrea, Mrs. said...

He what! Hahahah! Oh, dear, that is terrible. I don't know if I should laugh or be extremely afraid.

Birrd said...

This is very good to know. I appreciate the information. I know I will need it.

Unknown said...

It's amazing how resilient kids are, and how fast they heal! I'm glad Andrew is ok and that he didn't require a trip to the emrgency room! Loved your story! What a funny kid.

Ie Li said...

That sounds painful. Way to stay tough, Andrew.

Dad said...

Glad he is OK. I'm surprised that he wasn't freaking out with the blood -- what a cool customer! Love, Momo

Gina said...

I think you handled that beautifully! Most others would have freaked out. It also shows what a kind mom you are that he has picked up on calling you honey!

Lauren said...

That is terrifying. Cuts in the mouth bleed soo much.
I had a friend in college whose mother tied him to a leash in his backyard when he was little. I thought it was the meanest thing at the time but when I read stories like this I kind of get why she did it. Hope he is feeling better:)

xo